- Faculty of Mathematics, University of Bucharest, 1986
- Ph.D.''Distributed grammar systems'' University of Bucharest, 1993
- Associate Professor 1988 - 2001
- Full Professor 2002 -
- "Gheorghe Lazar" Prize of the Romanian Academy of Sciences 1997.
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship, Germany, 1995-1996, 1999.
- Fellowship granted by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science, 1999-2000, 2001.
- Visiting professor or visiting researcher at University of Turku, Finland, (1993,1996,1998), Fattih College in Istanbul, Turkey, (1994), University of Opava, Czech Republic, (1998), Rovira i Virgili University, Spain, (1997), University ``La Sapienza'', Rome, Italy, (2001).
Main Research Interests:
- theory of algorithms
- formal languages and automata
- DNA computation