Gitta (Brigitta) Domik
Born: 18 November 1957 in Graz, Austria
Languages: German, English; school knowledge of French
Marital status: Married (husband: Dr. Erwin Kienegger), one child (Jakob)
- Ph.D., Technical University of Graz, Austria, June 1985. Doctoral Thesis on "Algorithms to Analyze Digital Radar Images of Mountainous Areas using Elevation Models and Image Simulation". Adviser: Dr. Franz Leberl
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, Technical University of Graz, Austria, November 1981. Master's Thesis on "Intermediary Languages for Data Base Systems". Adviser: Dr. W. Koch
- High School Graduation, Potomac, Maryland, June 1977.
- High School Graduation in Graz, Austria, June 1976.
- 1993 to present: University of Paderborn, Germany Professor (C3) at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (FB 17).
- 1991 to 1993: University of Colorado at Boulder Assistant Research Professor at the Department of Computer Science. Member of the Institute of Cognitive Science. Responsible for acquisition and management of research projects, teaching and advising of graduate and undergraduate students. Research interests in scientific visualization, computer graphics, image processing and analysis and knowledge based scientific systems.
- 1990 - present: Visiting Professorships
- Visiting Professor at the Institute for Informatics and Statistics at the University of Vienna, Austria, Spring 1992.
- Visiting Professor at the Institute for Foundations of Information Processing and Computer Supported New Media at the Technical University Graz, Austria, between Fall 1990 and Summer 1991. Adjunct Professor since July 1991.
- 1987 to 1991: University of Colorado at Boulder
Head of Image Processing/Computer Graphics Group at the Center for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy (CASA). Responsibilities include acquiring and managing research projects in space science data analysis. Lecturer at the Department for Electrical and Computer Engineering and the Department for Astrophysical, Planetary, and Atmospheric Sciences (Graduate School). Consultant at Vexcel Corporation, Boulder, on radar remote sensing / image processing.
- 1985 - 1987: Vexcel Corporation, Boulder, Colorado
Employed at Vexcel's startup in May 1985 as Radar Image Scientist. Project manager for radar image research activities and radar engineering services. Research performed during this two year interval resulted in more than 15 publications on image processing aspects of space- and airborne radar images.
- 1982 - 1985: Institute for Image Processing and Computer Graphics, Research Center, Graz, Austria
Research assistant and later project manager for digital radar activities. Developed software to simulate, rectify, analyze and display digital radar data and auxiliary information.
- 1980 - 1981: Institute for Automated Documentation, Research Center, Graz, Austria
Programmer on project to design and develop software for distributed data bases (relational model). Software was developed on PDP-11/23 in Pascal. Master's Thesis documents experiences gained throughout this project.
Main Research Interests:
- scientific visualization;
- Scientific visualization;
- Scientific information systems;
- Digital image processing of scientific data;
- Digital image simulation;
- User interface technology in scientific environments;
- Merging of satellite generated imagery (sensor fusion);
- Interactive data analysis techniques;
- Color image synthesis;
- Knowledge-based information systems;
- Distributed database systems;
- Stereoscopic and single radar image analysis;
- Differential rectification of radar images;
- Utilization of digital elevation models;
- Use of SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar) for vegetation mapping;
- Use and characteristics of SAR for geologic applications;
- Use and characteristics of SAR for land snow and ice applications;
- Producing secondary image products based on remotely sensed images;