Born in India. Associate Professor of Computer Science at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill since 1993. B. Tech. in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi in 1980 and Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1986. Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Purdue University 1986-1993. Associate Editor of ACM Transactions on Information Systems and member of IFIP WG2.7 group on Engineering Human-Computer Interfaces. Member of program committees of ACM/IEEE conferences on computer supportive cooperative work, multimedia, user interfaces, distributed computing, and software engineering. Guest editor of special journal issues on user interface software and collaborative systems. Given tutorials for NTU and IEEE and ACM conferences.
Main Research Interests:
- system support for distributed collaboration
- distributed object-oriented database management systems
- system support for user interfaces
- software development environment
- building an infrastructure, called Suite, for supporting both synchronous and asynchronous collaborative applications